CONTACT: Andrea Hutchinson
Green Travel Summit
(203) 878-2577 ex 117
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
LEADING CORPORATE TRAVEL EXECUTIVES IDENTIFY TOP TEN CHALLENGES TO GREENING CORPORATE TRAVEL
Attendees at the first ever Green Travel Summit collaborate to define the leading challenges facing Corporate America’s efforts to reduce their carbon footprint related to business travel and corporate meetings
NEWPORT BEACH, CA, March 25, 2009 – Unicomm, LLC announced today the results of a collaborative effort undertaken by leading corporate travel executives attending the first ever Green Travel SummitTM. The report identifies the top ten challenges facing organizations in greening corporate travel.
Over 160 corporate travel executives and industry suppliers attended the Green Travel Summit, the first fully dedicated forum focused on exploring green travel strategies and their impact on business travel and corporate meetings.
Following were the top issues attendees identified in implementing carbon reducing programs:
1) Where to begin - The single greatest challenge for many executives is defining a road map of the process to BEGIN greening business travel and meetings.
2) Perception vs. reality regarding costs - Understanding the costs associated with “greening” is often at odds with the internal perception of the process.
3) Overcoming resistance to change - In many organizations corporate travel expectations are at odds with the change required to reduce the associated carbon footprint.
4) Buy in from senior management - The need to have top management support of related green initiatives.
5) ROI - A better understanding of the actual ROI of greening initiates and tracking tools to report ROI.
6) Securing budget - In a difficult economy identifying and allocating funding for green initiatives is increasingly difficult.
7) Reporting standards and metrics - As green travel programs are instituted, procedures, technologies and standards to report progress are not clearly defined.
8) Green washing: Truth vs. fiction - Cutting through the hype to achieve environmentally sustainable practices is increasingly more critical.
9) Buy in from both the planner and the supplier –Establishing acceptable standards and implementing across the corporate travel industry supply chain is needed.
10) Communicating and educating all relative stakeholders - Once green corporate travel policies begin to be implemented, communicating the program and the desired results to relative stakeholders is critical to success.
The Green Travel Summit was held at the Fairmont, Newport Beach, California, March 23-24, 2009 and assembled executives from a cross-section of the travel industry including: corporate travel buyers, managers, meeting and incentive planners as well as travel marketing executives, corporate travel suppliers and destination marketing organizations.
Seminars and keynote addresses focused on corporations accelerating their efforts to create enterprise-wide sustainability strategies to address the climate change issue and to realize cost savings while positioning themselves for competitive advantage. With travel as the second largest variable expense for organizations, there was recognition of the opportunity to attain measurable cost savings, reduce carbon emission liability and differentiate themselves from their competitors as socially responsible companies to stand out in the marketplace.
The Green Travel Summit has attracted premier organizations serving the corporate travel and meetings industry including American Express Business Travel who joined the event as Presenting Sponsor, Fairmont Hotel as Official Hotel, Co-sponsor National Business Travel Association (NBTA) and Intercontinental Hotel Group as Gold Partner. Maritz Travel and American Airlines have joined as Silver Partners, BCD Travel and TSX as Bronze Partners and the Association of Travel Marketing Executives (ATME) as Association Sponsor. The event is supported by Media Sponsors Business Travel News, Successful Meetings, Meeting News and TravelMole. SkyTeam is the Official Airline Alliance and EcoSecurities Official Carbon Offset Provider.
For details on the event, please visit the website www.greentravelsummit.com.
About Unicomm, LLC - Unicomm LLC. is an independent business-to-business communications company specializing in conceiving and managing trade shows and conferences in nascent markets.
Unicomm’s management team has been responsible for some of the industry’s most successful trade shows and conferences. Unicomm currently produces the largest series of travel events in the United Sates; the Adventures in Travel Expo. In addition Unicomm has developed leading events in the Bio-Technology, Research & Development and Mechanical Engineering, Human Resources, Transportation and other markets.
The company’s "value-added" resources are the intellectual capital of its people and proprietary business practices. These attributes coupled with an intense customer centric philosophy combine to deliver world class events.